Feed on
Posts
Comments

It has been a while since any of us have seen any life here at Intrepid Classroom. Sai has raised some interesting questions about one of my favorite people in the whole world, Ken Kesey, so I hope to write a post about him and his movement soon, but you can share your thoughts with her at her discussion forum here.

Mr. Kimi has added a Voicethread about character development that could use some attention. Finally, Aron sent me the following line in an email:

I don’t have much time right now but I know that I (and some others) have not really been participating in the Ning and IntrepidClassroom, but I think this is partly because we have not got a central goal.

To that I say this: The goal has always been to focus on the following topics: conflict resolution, global sustainability, peace activism, music and art as agent for social change, technology as a tool for social justice. The hope is to create a fluid, organic curriculum that engages all participants.

What that looks like depends on you the participants. My hope has always been that you, the members of Intrepid Classroom, would direct your own learning without the need for concrete assignments. I have suggested several projects, but most have been ignored.

The goal is for us to learn how to create a community of learners who work together for the simple reason of leanring from each other and teaching others. If you have an idea, share it with the Ning and get someting started. With the new chat feature we should be ablke to communicate more easily.

3 Responses to “Get Something Started”

1. Steven Kimmi says:

Interesting thoughts here. To be quite honest, this is the first I have actually known of the purpose for Intrepid Classroom. I guess I am just unsre of what this would all look like.

For instance, I would love to start a poetry writing group. However, I don’t know that it would fit into “for social change” piece. At least not consistently. I guess we could attempt to force it in that direction, but I think it might stifle writing.

Perhaps it all seems to in(or un-)conquerable.

Just thoughts. And instinct tells me that you will say, just start the poetry group, it’s okay. I realize that it is probably okay, but I want to be a force in the same direction, not a rivulet adrift.

2. Leila says:

I’m not sure what to say….

I have not only been neglecting my own blog but also the ning and many other things…. what can I say… um…

Okay, I’ll say it. It’s just too much work. They never tell you that you will die with the amount of homework given in high school. Like I always say, it’s not hard, it’s time consuming. It takes a lot of time. My day is a blur; school, work, work, tiny bit of t.v, work, work. I end up sleeping with my homework all around me. I get up all tired and go to school just to get more work.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m enjoying high school too. I love to learn and I think though I hate Math, I’m feeling a certain connection with History and English. Is it the subject, the teacher or both? That I don’t know but I have to say, my writing is improving day by day as my brain is being feed by the thing it loves the most; knowledge.

I’ll try to get on the ning but right now, if I don’t at least you’ll know why and that I like intrepid but things are getting a bit hard to handle these days.

Leila

3. Julia says:

Just a note on the mention of Intrepid Classroom having “no central goal”: sure, there are the overlying themes that you have outlined, but within those, there are no apparent short-term goals.

The long-term goals/overlying themes are apparent (or, at least they are now) but they do not allow us to completely envision what we should be doing in the meantime, which makes broaching the topics or even attempting to present something difficult.

The topics that we are covering are vast and almost, as someone before me has said, “in(or un-)conquerable”. I suggest that maybe things should be more obvious as to where things should be going: present us with more projects with obvious discussions or questions since sometimes just posting a YouTube video with a paragraph isn’t enough to entice someone to start a discussion.

@Steven Kimmi: I agree, actually: sometimes all the focus on the changes that we are trying to make does stifle the art and writing that we also love to do. I’d love to be a part of that poetry group if it ever did get going, by the way.

Oh, and another thing: what happened to We Are One? That seemed to be the thing that kept going even if there wasn’t an immense amount of activity on the blog or the Ning… but still, I think the reason that it trailed off was that there wasn’t a specific event or occurance that was to be conveyed.

In all other Round Robins that I have completed, there is a prompt and certain restrictions. For example, most RR’s limit people to 100 words or less per entry, or only allow them to use certain characters. /However/, even though this is a group effort within Intrepid Classroom and it’s supposed to be a flowing story I do think that there needs to be some degree of planning going on. Not obsessive and compulsive planning like I tend to do, but some loose guidelines on what we’d like to see happen or how the characters should be acting.

Just a few cents, I may come back a little bit later with more thoughts. :D

- Julia